Sunday, January 11, 2015

Busted pipe=blessing in disguise. Also a new addition to our family!

This is a post I didn't publish last winter. I guess Preston having the Shingles in his eye kind of derailed us.

Enjoy:


Well folks. As you might have heard Texas has some pretty kookie weather. It kind of reminds me of a woman going through the menopause mixed with a pregnant woman's mood swings. So far we have had so many freezes I think we are on the verge of a record. This past weekend was the biggest mood swing, er, weather swing I have ever seen. Saturday it was 80 degrees, I was wearing shorts and a tank top. Sunday, the high was in the low teens. That's Texas for you.

Sadly for us, the Home Improvement Newlyweds we didn't drip the pipes as well as we should have and you guessed it, we got a busted pipe.

We thought giving the faucets a good drip was good, but the next day when we realized we had no water pressure we had a leak. When we went into the kitchen to regroup we heard something. A Fountain? We don't have a fountain........oh no!!!!  Umm....Preston! Look!!!! We have a fountain under the house!!!!! (the explanation points were sarcastic) After locating the location and fixing it (with the help of John, Preston's friend from work) we were able to thank God that it had happened because we had never had such good water pressure. It was such a blessing in disguise because after fixing that we had THE BEST water pressure!!!!!!  What we did for the fix:
                             Sand both sides of the copper pipe till shiny and push the "shark bite" in-it's a compression fitting.



Here's the finished product: (yes, under the cast iron main drain, but look folks-we aren't millionaires, just trying to get by)




Insert the Shark Bite plumbing fixing thing:

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/flexible-coupling-hoses/

we got ours at lowes. Literally saved our lives.

and voila!


Also, during this time I was having a brake problem in the  Bumblebee (1999 mustang, 35th anniversary edition) I took these pictures and sent them to
Preston while he was at work because I was annoyed because the Autozone boys were sassing me saying "you're going to change your own brakes?" and other nonsense like that.









Me working under the house on the busted pipe!





Our new kitty Waylon, he found us in our backyard right before a thunder storm-he was nearly dead when he warmed our hearts.











Preston and John working on fixing the busted pipe.






Oh yeah, during this menopausal Texas winter UTD cancelled my Bachelors Graduation because of the ICE! I was obviously not a happy camper. I spent all day in my cap & gown in my OWN celebration. F U ICE!






No comments:

Post a Comment